UPDATE: As of the release of TDS 5.5 this entire process is now legacy. The new process is SO much easier. Read all about it here.
With the current trend of moving more and more to the cloud we’ve found that many users are using Visual Studio Online (VSO). The advantages to running your development environment on a cloud infrastructure are numerous. Building in the cloud brings performance, security and team benefits to any development team.
Starting with version 5, TDS supported VSO. Setting up TDS with VSO is slightly different because the TFS Build Server does not allow you to run the TDS installer. Due to this all the files need to be part of our Source Control. Here are the steps to getting it up and running:
- Add TDS build files to your solution. Find the files in C:\Program Files (x86)\MSBuild\HedgehogDevelopment\SitecoreProject\v9.0 then Copy them to a folder in the route of your solution.
- Copy your Sitecore Files. Take the Sitecore Files required by the TDS packager and move them into the route of your solution as well.
- Configure the Release Build. Navigate to the TDS Project Properties and change the build to Release. In the Build Tab make sure everything is blank. Navigate to Update Package and configure the update package. In the Sitecore Assembly Path field input the relative path to the Sitecore assemblies you added into Source Control.
- Test the build. You should receive the following error.
Point TDS Project to the correct location. Navigate to your TDS project and select Unload Project. In the project XML, at the end, there is an import statement for the HedgehogDevelopment.SitecoreProject.targets file.
- Update the project target file. We need to update the /TDSFiles/HedgehogDevelopment.SitecoreProject.targets file. Navigate to the file and find the following DLL: $(MSBuildExtensionsPath)\HedgehogDevelopment\SitecoreProject\v9.0\HedgehogDevelopment.SitecoreProject.Tasks.dll This DLL must be replaced with the relative path to the TDS Project importing the file. The DLL gets replaced with: ...\TDSFiles\HedgehogDevelopment.SitecoreProject.Tasks.dll
- Test the build. You should receive the following error. This is because TDS can’t find the license file.
- Change license file location. Navigate to the TDSFiles folder and open TDSLicense.config. in the file add a single XML root node with the Owner and Key information. Your license file should contain the line:
<license Owner="CompanyName" Key="AA00-A00-0A0-A000" />